Another chance at Crimson Nights

Crimson Nights is making its monthly appearance Friday night, with free activities for U students.

The evening, starting at 9 p.m. and going until 2 a.m., will feature bowling, billiards, dancing, blackjack, bingo karaoke, basketball, volleyball and screenings of “Finding Nemo.”

The evening will also include outdoor volleyball, and the dance may be held outside as well, but organizers want to make sure the weather will cooperate, according to Katie McMullin, staff director for Crimson Nights.

The first Crimson Nights of the school year, held Aug. 22, brought in more than 4,100 students, while organizers planned for about 2,500.

This time around, organizers are planning for the more than 4,000, McMullin said.

“We’ll be more organized this time around because we already have 50-60 volunteers for the night, which should be plenty,” she said.

In order to recruit the volunteers, McMullin took signup sheets to various student clubs and recruited.

“Everyone has been trained, and they’re all set,” she said.

Students can attend the free event by showing their student ID cards at the door, and a guest can attend for free as well.

While the Union Programming Council provides some money and the bulk of organization for the event, other campus groups have given financial support to the event.

The Associated Students of the University of Utah budgeted $20,000 throughout the year for the event, and other campus groups partner up to provide events.

The screening of “Finding Nemo” will be put on by the Presenter’s Office, and members of the U’s Greek Row are pitching in for the bingo games, McMullin said.

McMullin says she anticipates students will show up for the free event.

“We’re just hoping for a big turnout, and we think it will be great,” she said.