Swim team opens new season in style

The U women’s swimming team opened up the season Friday on a positive note by edging out a 148-140 victory over BYU.

The men’s team stumbled in their first meet, however, falling to BYU by a score of 152-136. U coach Mike Litzinger saw the meet as a positive for both teams, despite the men’s loss.

“This is a program that showed it’s headed in the right direction,” Litzinger said. “The women got off to a great start and the guys had a disqualification that cost them.”

The event, which consisted entirely of relays, was named the Don Reddish Relays in honor of the Ute coach who headed the program for more than 40 years.

The Ute women got an excellent performance from senior co-captain Kristen Kaiser, who was on the winning relay team in five events, including the 300 butterfly, the 4 x 100 medley, the 800 free relay, the 500 free relay and the 1,500 free relay.

Meghan Demchuk and Alison McInturff also made strong showings, swimming on four winning teams each.

The men shot themselves in the foot with a disqualification in the 400 medley relay, which cost them at least 10 points.

It may have cost them even more, considering BYU’s second team won the event and received fourteen points.

Some quick math reveals that the Utes could have won the meet if they had won that event.

Despite the disappointment, Cody Rempfer shined for the Utes by swimming on four winning teams. Trent Shino, Evan Castro and John Leeman each chipped in on two event victories, which helped the Utes keep the meet within reach.

Diving was a handicap for both the men and the women, as BYU took first place in all diving events.

The next meet for the Utes is Nov. 7 at the Ute Natatorium against San Diego State.