The Chronicle’s View: Pignanelli is the best candidate for U

As many of you may or may not know, next Tuesday is Election Day. Among offices up for this year’s election is that of Salt Lake City Mayor. After a relatively mild primary election, the two remaining candidates up for election are Frank Pignanelli and Rocky Anderson.

Both Pignanelli and Anderson are Democrats and have been active in Salt Lake City politics. Pignanelli served as a Representative at the Utah State House of Representatives for 10 years, and served as minority leader for eight of those years.

Anderson ran for the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996 and lost, later to return to the public service sphere as mayor in 1999.

So who would be the best person for the job? Frank Pignanelli.

Frank Pignanelli has a strong history with the U. Pignanelli received his bachelor’s degree as well as juris doctorate from the U.

While attending the U, Pignanelli served in many capacities. He worked as the Vice Chairman of Student Assembly from 1979-1980, was Union Board Chairman from 1980-1981 and was the representative of the Law School for ASUU from 1981 1984. Pignanelli has also served as a board member on the University of Utah Alumni Association Board.

Pignanelli is well aware of the fact that the U plays an integral part of the Salt Lake community. Perhaps illustrative of the different perspective Pignanelli and Anderson have concerning the U is the responses each gave to a City Weekly reporter in recent interviews. When asked who the largest employer in Salt Lake City was, Pignanelli answered correctly in stating the U. Anderson was incorrect, stating the LDS Church.

As a legislator, Pignanelli worked to form the Downtown Business Alliance, pass the Utah Hate Crimes Act and add enhancing amendments to the Anti-Discrimination Act and Neighborhood Drug House Provisions. Pignanelli also received the Humanitarian of the Year award from the Utah Humane Society for legislation passed concerning the inhumane treatment of animals.

Pignanelli has worked hard to pass legislation close to the hearts of many U students. Pignanelli has also shown that he can be a uniting voice of compromise-rather than an outspoken and divisive critic.

Many positive things have happened in Salt Lake City the past four years. However, these positive impacts may have occurred in spite of the current administration, rather than as a result of its stewardship.

Indicative of this is the fact that none of the current city council members endorse Anderson, while five of the current members are endorsing Pignanelli. It is time for Salt Lake City to move past the divisive and destructive circus it has become.

It is time to end the constant bickering, drawing battle lines on Mormon and non-Mormon grounds. It is time to elect Frank Pignanelli mayor.