Letter to the Editor: Segment of gay community ignored

By and

An important segment of the gay community was shamelessly ignored during Pride Week. That segment is composed of gay people who want to change. This should not come as a surprise since gay people who want to change are ignored by the LGBT Student Union during the rest of the year as well. Borrowing words from RuthAnne Frost’s Oct. 10 column, “The need for a Straight, White Male Week,” “These are people and deserve to be treated accordingly.” Several attempts have been made to persuade the LGBT Resource Center at the U to carry at least a few books which present evidence that some gay people can and do change. Each of these requests has been denied or ignored.

In the spirit of fairness and, yes, in the name of that sacred word-diversity-it is requested that the LGBT Student Union: (1) Sponsor events during Pride Week in which a gay person who might want to change may at least feel comfortable, and (2) Start insisting that the LGBT Resource Center carry some books which would give hope to gay people who might want to change. (Some become suicidal because they are told that they cannot change.)

Anyone who still questions whether or not some gay people can change should read this article published in a prestigious scientific journal: “Can Some Gay Men and Lesbians Change Their Sexual Orientation? 200 Participants Reporting a Change from Homosexual to Heterosexual Orientation,” by Robert L. Spitzer, M.D., in Archives of Sexual Behavior.

Is it too much to ask that this technical scientific article be posted in a prominent place in the LGBT Resource Center along with several objective, non judgmental books which show that some gay people can change?

David Richardson

Alumnus