Jason Mraz will Rock the Vote

Next Tuesday, students at elementary schools all over Utah will once again wonder why all the “old people” are coming into their buildings and hiding behind those blue curtains.

The truth is, it will be Election Day, and the Associated Students of the University of Utah wants to give one last reminder for everybody to vote.

For this, the student government has worked with the Presenter’s Office to bring Jason Mraz to Kingsbury Hall on Monday at 7:30 p.m.

Representatives from the Presenter’s Office says that some compare Mraz to Jack Johnson, John Mayer and Dave Matthews.

According to Jenny Thomas, executive director of the office, Mraz is “really up-and-coming” and “very popular.”

This is the fourth and final event in this year’s “Rock the Vote” campaign organized by Emily Justice.

The campaign began in October and included a political festival, mayoral debate and a battle of the bands event at Club DV8.

Mraz’s concert is the final reminder for people to get out to the booths, and Justice says she hopes that the event will be effective.

“The full effect [of the concert on voters] still remains to be seen. There will be no excuse for people not to know [about the elections]; students have to actually go vote, or it’s pointless.”

Up to this point the Rock the Vote campaign has registered more than 1,000 people to vote, and has only spent about $2,000, according to Justice.

However, Mraz’s fee for coming to the U is $21,000, and according to Thomas, the projected cost for the whole event is around $35,000.

Ticket sales are projected to bring in about $22,000.

Students can get tickets at the Union front desk or at the Kingsbury Hall ticket office for $12, and general public can get in for $22.

Tickets are also available for purchase by calling 581-7100, 355-ARTS, or on-line at www.arttix.org.