U tennis teams find mixed results at Eccles

By Adam Benson and Mathew Ouellette

The U women’s team came into Saturday’s match against No. 33 Kansas State outclassed, and even though the Utes lost, they still managed to get two points from the Wildcats, which was an improvement from the week before, when they lost to No. 59 Weber State, 7-0.

Utah lost 5-2 over the weekend, but got solid play from some singles players as well as the doubles team.

In singles play at the No. 1 position, Sheri Esrock was taken down by Maria Rosenberg 6-4, 6 3, but the players that did win in singles play for the Utes all won in three sets.

After taking the first set 6-2, Whitney Heber was smoked in the second set by Jessica Simosa 6-0 in the second.

But Heber persevered and took the last set 6 3.

Jessica Watts took down Judith Diaz in three sets, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5. The Utes had other opportunities to win, but lost close sets in singles play.

“In order to really step it up to the next level, we are going to have to convert those opportunities to win into wins,” said U women’s tennis coach Megan Dorny.

Up next, the Utes have two matches against Kansas and Denver this weekend at Eccles Tennis Center.

Asad Kudiya

The U men’s tennis team embarrassed the Weber State Wildcats on Friday, winning nearly every match in convincing fashion on the way to a 7-0 victory.

Senior Roeland Brateanu and freshman Miron Mann teamed up for an 8-1 win over Weber State’s top duo, and sophomore Tomasz Gryzb joined freshman Ryan Scott in the only close match of the day, and the two Utes prevailed 9-8.

After another doubles win for the Utes, Brateanu began singles play with a 6-4, 7-6 victory over Jon Engelbrecht in the No. 1 match, and that was as close as the Wildcats came to a win all day.

Gryzb destroyed the Wildcats’ No. 2 man without losing a single game, and Jason Yap nearly duplicated the feat, dropping only three games out of 15 in his match up of No. 3s.

Mann was able to continue his undefeated singles season by topping Travis Covington 7-5, 6-1.

Two more Ute freshmen rounded out the meet with resounding victories. Dantley Young in the No. 5 spot beat up on Zach Levetan 6-3, 6-3 and Scott breezed past Daniel Abeabouro 6-2, 6-0.

U head coach F.D. Robbins was obviously satisfied with the easy win, but quickly shifted his focus to next week’s match.

“I think we’re getting a little momentum,” he said. “Hopefully, we will play a good match against Idaho.”

Matthew Ouellette