Pay lot rates increase, student passes stay the same

SMartha Moench, a nontraditional student who is finishing up her language requirement to complete her English degree, is angry.

Last semester, she paid $2 to park during her night Spanish class.

Since July 1, she’s been paying $5 a day because of the increased rates of campus pay lots.

“It’s ridiculous,” said Moench, who said that paying for a parking pass would not be worth the money as a part-time student.

Alma Allred, director of Commuter Services, said the pay lots need to be open for visitors, and increasing the rates is the only way to accommodate those from the community.

“It’s less about keeping students out than it is to make available parking for those visiting campus,” Allred said. “We have to discourage both students and employees from parking there.”

He said that he receives complaints from visitors throughout the year about not finding a place to park.

However, Moench has always found a spot, even when she was dropping off one of her kids for classes.

“In my experience, it’s simply not true that there aren’t places to park for visitors. As a visiting parent, I have always found a place to park,” she said.

Allred said he’s “holding the line for students,” though.

He said the new rates for pay lots are still cheaper than those at Utah Valley State College.

“This is a place for students, after all,” he said.

Also on July 1, the cost for faculty A passes increased from $160 to $192 a year, while student U and E passes stayed at $120 and $60 a year, respectively.

The recommendation came from the parking task force that was headed by Ben Lowe, student body president of the 2001-2002 school year.

Allred said he didn’t implement the increase last year because Commuter Services didn’t need the money then, but it does this year.

Gerald Davey, associate instructor in mathematics, is retiring at the end of the summer, but he has purchased A passes throughout his teaching career.

“It’s more than I’d like to pay, but it is convenient. I usually get here early, so finding a close place to park isn’t an issue. Otherwise, I have to park in an A lot that is quite a way away,” he said.

Allred said he hopes students appreciate not paying more for parking passes last year, and understand the need to make room for visitors on campus.

“I hate raising prices. It’s not my favorite thing to do,” he said.