Letter to the Editor: Kerry’s foreign policy is kickin’

Indeed Dan Florence,

Kerry’s magical powers may be limited and a wizard in the traditional sense he may not be, but a wizard of foreign policy is he (“Kerry does not have possess magical powers,” Oct. 11)!

The cultured entre nous understand that on a global level, stability is a higher priority than even democratic institutions. (see Huntington’s Political Order in Changing Societies, pages 47-54).

Diplomacy alone should be implemented to achieve this objective. Kerry stands for this and has not wavered.

Under the Bush administration, we haven’t had a liaison between our former allies.

Because of the language barrier that exists between Chirac and Bush, it’s the Texan who is culpable this time. Bush is completely lacking in the French language and European sophistication. Kerry, on the other hand, is a natural in dealing with our “amis Europeans,” because he speaks French (the language of diplomacy) and is a renowned war hero.

Kerry can open up the lines of communication between these former allies and build a strong world coalition that passes the global test.

Oh, and Mr. Florence, as for the “elimination of all human suffering,” I assure you humankind has no stronger ally than the Kerry-Edwards ticket.

I quote John Edwards speaking at Newton High School in Iowa, “We will stop juvenile diabetes, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and other debilitating diseases… When John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going get up out of that wheelchair and walk again.” Does that answer your question? If you or anyone else wants to discuss this election, I would desire to engage in a gentleman’s quarrel, a public debate sometime here on the U campus.

Todd Lamoreaux

Sophomore, Business