The Chronicel’s View: U should take the opportunity to walk a mile in others’ shoes

This year, the Muslim Student Association is inviting the campus community to participate in Ramadan for the day to help out Utah’s hungry residents.

Students who sign pledge cards that they will not eat during the daylight hours on Oct. 27 will earn a $3 donation from local businesses to the Utah Food Bank and those students will be rewarded with a feast after sundown to break the daily fast.

This endeavor is important for two reasons. First, students around campus can experience for a day what Muslims do for a month every year out of religious devotion.

Muslims around the world sacrifice food, drink, sex, smoking and other indulgences during daylight hours. They do this every day not only to remember the struggles of past religious leaders, but also to recognize the struggles of people today.

Millions go starving every day in the world, and this is one way to help a group of nearly 1 billion people recognize that suffering.

Second, students can help fight those hunger problems. Utah is one of many areas that appears to be hunger-free. But appearances can be deceptive. The per capita income in Utah is only $18,185 each year, yet the state ranks first in the nation in number of dependents to feed at 3.67 people per household, according to the 2000 U.S. Census.

That means there is less money and more mouths to feed than in other states. This puts Utahns at a greater risk for not being able to feed their children.

Students who come together and sacrifice a single day of eating can help out these hungry children.

By showing solidarity with the Muslims on campus in the U community, students can learn about a religion and culture other than their own, and can help feed Utah’s hungry at the same time.

It’s essential, though, that when those students who pledged to help are eating their fast-breaking meal, they don’t forget those in the community who don’t have a meal to look forward to.