The Chronicle’s View: Moore important than you know

A speech was delivered today in Utah that, whether or not you realize it, is Moore important than the man who delivered it.

Yes, the much-publicized, even-more criticized speech by independent filmmaker/political mudslinger Michael Moore was heard by an audience of thousands at Utah Valley State College this afternoon.

Moore’s speech, which effectively and officially acted as a leftist counterbalance to the equally biased rightist propaganda spewed by Sean Hannity earlier this month, moved innumerable Utahns to either take up arms against the pundit for his obvious political agenda, or vehemently support his perspective as a palpable example of the necessary liberal counterbalance to Utah’s traditionally Republican leanings.

But, whether or not you personally believe in Moore or his speech, and regardless of whether you are an avid supporter or opponent to his being allowed to speak at UVSC, the importance of Moore, Hannity and their oft-contested messages is greater than whether or not you personally support their causes.

More than anything, it is obvious that Utahns have passionate feelings about Moore’s speech, Hannity’s presence and the overall polarity of modern American politics-and that’s a good, good thing.

The fact is, people are talking. And in a state so traditionally uniform in its political allegiances, this is the exception, rather than the rule.

Often there is an unfortunate and misguided tendency to believe whatever the news media, local politicians and state legislators tell us. Utahns, in a habit typical of the dangerous political apathy and group mentality that characterize much of America now, on the eve of one of the most important elections in the history of our country, just don’t seem to think it’s important to…well, think.

The opinions of others-be they Moore, Hannity or even The Salt Lake Tribune-are nothing more than just that: opinions. Granted, lots of people might turn up to hear the opinions of infamous pundits and national celebrities, but when it comes right down to it, the votes of these people are (literally) no more or less important than yours.

Sure, they have loud voices and sometimes they even have valid perspectives, but to allow these political mouthpieces to make up your mind for you is not just irresponsible, it’s downright demeaning.

Are you so insecure that you really don’t believe your opinion is valid enough to be weighted against those of other people? No? Then why not make up your own mind?

Actually, that is exactly what Utahns seem to be doing. There have been (ridiculous) lawsuits filed against Moore and the underrepresented liberal demographic in Utah made their voices heard in verbal opposition to Hannity.

This type of dialogue implies that not only do people actually care about politics for the first time in a long while, but also that people are doing all they can to make their opinions heard. And that’s great news, so long as you do not let their opinions take precedent over yours.

If you didn’t see Hannity and Moore, all is not lost-in the upcoming weeks before the presidential election, educate yourself on the issues. Let your passion guide your mind to a well-founded and unshakable understanding of what you yourself believe in your heart-of-hearts. That’s the most important thing right now-that whoever is elected in November represents the true desires of a majority of Americans…not just those afforded some time in front of a microphone.