Trick-or-serve

Halloween is a holiday for costumes, candy, trick-or-treaters and service, according to Delta Delta Delta President Brecken Pincock.

Members of Tri-Delta and chapters of Sigma Gamma Chi and Lambda Delta Sigma plan to spend their holiday weekend serving others.

For the month of October, members of the Tri-Delta chapter at the U have been volunteering their time at the Rocky Point Haunted house to raise money for the Boys and Girls club of Greater Salt Lake.

Chapter members work as cashiers at the house and predict the Halloween weekend will bring in more revenue, Pincock said.

Each ticket costs $15 and the money raised by the Rocky Point service project minus expenses will go to benefit the club.

“All the actors are volunteers,” Pincock said. “The only members of the staff that get paid are security and make-up artists.”

Pincock said the Boys and Girls Club approached the U’s greek community three years ago with a service challenge.

Since then Tri-Delta has been participating every October.

“I love working with the people there,” chapter member Karissa Peterson said. “It’s fun and I enjoy working at Rocky Point.”

Though other members of the greek system are not involved, Pincock said chapter members are glad they are offered the opportunity every year.

“I have been helping out every October for the past three years,” she said. “I am a senior and this will be my last year and I am really going to miss it.”

Pincock said service has its rewards, however, every year the chapter earns one night to invite their friends to go through the house for free.

“Our free night was Wednesday,” she said. “We invited around 50 people and it was fun.”

With Tri-Delta representing the U’s greek community, Latter-day Saints chapters plan to do their part as well by raising money and collecting food for the Utah Food Bank and various organizations during this year’s Alphaween, Oct. 30.

Starting at 7 p.m., students will pay an entrance fee of $3 plus one can of food or $4 without the food.

“All the proceeds except what it will cost to host Alphaween will go to a variety of scholarships and organizations,” Alpha Sorority President April Andrews said. “It was very successful last year and we hope a lot of people will come this year.”

Because the event coincides with the U football game against San Diego, chapter members plan to project it during Alphaween.

“I am excited and it is going to be lots of fun,” Andrews said. “We are glad we are giving students a place to come and have a fun Halloween.”

Andrews added all students are welcome to attend the event held at the LDS Institute of Religion.