Ceremony marks beginning of pharmacy students’ training

The White Coat Ceremony held last Friday at the College of Pharmacy auditorium marked an official beginning for those students entering the doctor of pharmacy program at the University of Utah and culminated National Pharmacy Week. Approximately 45 doctoral students were officially initiated into the program as their names were announced and they wore their white coats for the first time. “The white coat ceremony gives students and family the opportunity to recognize the importance of professionalism within the practice of pharmacy, and also to welcome students to the profession,” said Dr. Mark A. Munger, associate dean for academic affairs for the College of Pharmacy.

John W. Mauger, the college’s dean, also spoke at the event. “This event is second in importance only to graduation-which is four years hence. The purpose of this ceremony is to formally introduce this class to the profession.”

After receiving the coat, pharmacy student Dean Nielson said, “It felt like an official welcome to pharmacy as a fellow healthcare professional.”

Keynote speaker Steven Leeder spoke to the students at the ceremony on Friday, as well as to faculty and family members. A professor of pediatrics and pharmacology at the University of Missouri, Leeder highlighted the theme, “Building on the Past, Challenges for the Future.”

Stephanie Cosman