Family remembers U student for his gentle nature, love of architecture

Jordan Reynolds loved to travel anywhere new-especially beaches, according to his sister, Melanie. He collected sand from various vacation spots and saved it as a memento.

In the long run, traveling was the hobby that introduced Jordan to his real passion: architecture.

Jordan, 21, was a sophomore in business and urban planning at the U.

He died in University Hospital on Tuesday, Oct. 26, due to complications from pneumonia.

He was passionate about learning and teaching alike, Melanie said.

Jordan caught the architecture bug about two years ago in his first visit to New York City.

“His whole room is covered with pictures of flatiron buildings, the Brooklyn Bridge and city lights,” Melanie said.

After his trip, Jordan immersed himself in his studies.

He returned to Utah with a plan to finish his bachelor’s degree in urban planning and focus on architecture or business. Jordan wanted to follow up on his undergraduate education by earning a master’s degree.

However, Jordan’s curiosity and studies extended beyond the classroom.

“He loved any new projects in [Salt Lake] City,” Melanie said. “He knew about them before anyone. Before they built The Gateway or any new things with the Olympics-every project or new thing in town-he wanted to drive around and look at them.”

Aside from his busy life as a student, Jordan worked full time in ShopKo’s presentation department.

As a team leader, he was in charge of setting up displays around the store.

He was a student who was up-to-speed on his current events and very much looking forward to the 2004 General Election-which would have been his first opportunity to vote for the next president of the United States.

“He was really excited about it,” Melanie said. “He was excited to get involved and to really know the issues.”

Melanie added that Jordan had a caring aura about him and always knew how to accomplish what he set out to do.

“Jordan loved life and his friends and family. He took care of everybody both financially and emotionally,” she said. “He laughed all the time, and it was contagious. He put 200 percent into everything he did and always knew the right way to do it.”

Born in Murray, Reynolds was a Utah native who lived in West Jordan for the majority of his life.

He graduated from West Jordan High School in the class of 2002.

Reynolds spent one month in Jordan Valley and University hospitals before he passed away.

He is survived by his parents: John and Nancy, and his siblings: Melanie, Kimberly, Joel (Shantell) along with two nephews and three grandparents.

His parents, along with the entire family, wish to thank the doctors and nurses at both hospitals for their loving care and added, “Jordan, we love you and will miss you.”