Chess masters of the univers(ity)

Members of the U chess club plan to take on Utah Valley State College for its first match of the season on Nov. 13.

Vice President Anatoliy Zharkikh said the event will be the second match in the history of the chess club at the U and members plan to make it an annual event.

“We hope this intercollegiate chess competition will spark more student interest in the club,” he said.

The event will be the first on-the-road chess tournament in the history of the U, according to club adviser Robert Williams.

“There is a big hole where college chess should be and we want to fill that hole,” he said.

Williams said the tournament is open to all students, faculty and staff at the U.

“We invite anyone to come to the club and the match,” he said. “Even if you do not know how to play, we will teach you all the chess techniques and traps you would need.”

Williams added that UVSC is planning to have about 40 players attend the competition, while the U is struggling to round up 20.

“We are sorely lacking in this state in chess,” he said.

Zharkikh said club members meet Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. to practice techniques in preparation for upcoming events.

“We have 10 consistent players at the meetings every week,” he said. “Sometimes on rare occasions we have up to 20 students come and practice with us.”

Other than the UVSC match, members said they plan on participating in two other competitions this year against players from Hill Air Force Base and last year’s rival-Brigham Young University.

“BYU had a really good player who killed us when we played them last year,” Zharkikh said.

Members are ready to meet with BYU and plan to change the outcome of this year’s competition, according to Zharkikh.

Though club members have not officially organized the events with BYU and the base, Zharkikh believes the competitions will take place.

“It is just a matter of deciding on a place and time,” he said.

Williams encourages people who are interested in participating during the UVSC match to come to the next meeting this Thursday.

“It is very important that everyone is prepared,” he said. “You can bet UVSC is practicing this week and we do not want to get in trouble like we did when we met with BYU.”

Zharkikh added that no matter what the results are from the matches, the club’s first priority is to have fun and make connections with the universities for next year.

“We just want everyone to have fun,” he said.