Spikers sign four players

Utah volleyball is enjoyingthe spoils of success, as is evidencedin the talented recruitingclass signed Thursday.The Utes received commitmentsfrom four playersThursday afternoon, andcoach Beth Launiere is confi-dent that the Ute’s No. 17 rankingcorrelated with the highlytouted recruiting class.”If we aren’t winning championshipsand aren’t a top 20team, we don’t have a shot at alot of these players,” Launieresaid. “They want to play for awinning program.”While recruiting is far froman exact science, the jewel ofthe class appears to be 6 feettall, outside hitter Airial Salvo.The Viewmont High senior isone of the top 10 recruits inthe country according to prepvolleyball.com.”She has a lot of experienceand is ready to play at this level,”Launiere said, expectingSalvo to get an opportunity toplay early.Playing in the top Utah highschool volleyball classification,Salvo has lead Viewmontto two straight 5-A titles, earningMVP in both tournaments.She has earned first-team allstatehonors every year excepther freshman season.Salvo is no stranger to Utahvolleyball. Her mother, Lori,was a standout player in thelate seventies. Cousins Brookeand Brenda also starred for thevolleyball team in the ’80s.At the setter position, Utahwelcomes another 6-footer.Shannon Krug (pronouncedKroog), the only recruit outsideof Utah, has led herDoherty High School (ColoradoSprings, Colo.) team to a24-2 record this season.”We’re expecting her to playearly on,” Launiere said. “Shehas great size and has been asetter since she was 14 yearsold.”Outside hitter KathrynLovell joins the squad, owningone of the most impressiveUtah high school records.This season Lovell broke thecareer kill record, a mark previouslyheld by current U.S.Olympic star Logan Tom.”Kathryn has a great armswing and is a very dynamichitter,” Launiere said. She possessesgreat power.”Lori Baird, a club teamteammate of Lovell, completesthe class. The middle blockerfrom Murray High has ledher team to three straight 4-Atournaments and was secondteam all-region as a junior.With all four signees standingat 6 feet or taller, Launierecontinues her tradition ofbringing in tall players.”I like size,” Launiere said.”Every team has a style, andthat’s definitely ours.”With five seniors on the currentUte squad, the four commitslook likely to get into themix [email protected]