The Chronicle’s View: The holiday season begins with registration day

It’s time to register again. This means long lines for advisers and students sitting at computer terminals for hours, banging their heads against keyboards and perpetual malcontent.

Campus is sometimes referred to as a small city. Well then, this time of year is everyone in town trying to move and to find a new job all at the same time.

Let’s face it, there are too many students and not enough teachers.

One student has as much right to go to school as another, and so the real problem seems to be a lack of faculty to teach all of the needed classes.

And whose idea was it to solve this problem with TAs? Because you don’t have a teacher for class A, you will grab a student from class B and hire them to teach class A? Whatever.

But don’t yell at your advisers, or even the department chairpersons, or even their deans. This conundrum is due to unfunded enrollment growth.

Every year, as more students enter the higher-education system, the state Legislature is expected to appropriate more money to cover those students. But they don’t.

There aren’t enough teachers because your representatives won’t appropriate the money for them.

But quit banging your head against the keyboard. You’re going to break the keyboard and perhaps your head. Just get busy and remember to write a thank you letter to your local legislator.

Register early. You’re kidding yourself if you think you can procrastinate.

But don’t over register. There’s a pernicious habit of signing up for six classes when you only need four just to make sure you get four when you need them.

Well good for you but what about everyone else? Don’t be selfish.

And remember that just because you can’t get in the ones you need doesn’t mean you’re completely out of luck. The department may grab a TA and open another class.

Most likely, if you show up to class the first day, you can get an add code.

Even if there are more people waiting for an add code than for a copy of “Halo 2,” many of those people will drop out after two weeks.

Until more faculty members get hired, you may be sticking around for an extra year. Very few of us have time-travel necklaces like Hermione Granger so if classes don’t fit, they just don’t.

Writing to your legislator isn’t a joke. They read those things and some of them are new and need you to introduce yourself anyway.