Few dining options open to student over break

Students living in the residence halls will have to be creative to find a hot meal this weekend.

The Residential Life staff and the Residential Halls Association, however, will serve a Thanksgiving dinner at 2 p.m. on Thursday in the Heritage Center.

“[The dinner] is a means for folks to gather who are here for the break. They can get together, have fun and get something to eat,” Remsburg said.

Otherwise the center’s dining hall will be closed from Nov. 25 to 27 for Thanksgiving Break.

“Most of the students are not here for the break-we don’t want to make them pay for extra days on their meal plan,” said Barb Remsburg, director of Residential Living.

Although the dining hall will be closed, several options are available to those students who have to eat this weekend.

Dorm rooms aren’t equipped with ovens, so the RHA enlisted the help of a local deli.

“To prepare a Thanksgiving dinner is a lot of work, and [the deli] does a very nice job with packaged dinners,” said Carin White, resident adviser of the fine arts house on Officer’s Circle, and director of the Thanksgiving dinner.

On Friday the association will serve free pizza and play games starting at 2 p.m.

Because two meals in two days aren’t enough for most people, RHA has some suggestions for college students to get food.

The C-Store is open on Friday and Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

In addition, if students want to cook themselves a meal, they can ask their RA to open a program kitchen for them.

Though there are places to eat at the dorms, many students are turning to fast food.

“I’ll probably eat at Beto’s a lot [because] it’s cheap,” said John Ferguson, a freshman who lives in the dorms.

“I’m planning on eating out whenever I can,” said senior Heather Dahle.

Some other students who can’t go home for the Thanksgiving holiday are instead going to their friends’ homes for the big feast.