Campus police caution students about car burglaries

A recent spree of car burglaries on campus has police issuing caution to students.

“Most vehicle burglaries are a crime of opportunity,” said Sgt. E. G. McKee of Campus Police. “They see something valuable in your car and decide it’s worth taking.”

Most of the crimes take place in the larger West Stadium and Merrill Engineering parking lots, according to police.

Police say owners of Honda Accords should pay special attention, as that make tops the most-stolen-vehicle list.

To prevent your car from being burglarized, police recommend keeping valuables out of view, locking your doors and removing stereo faceplates.

Police want students to report any suspicious behavior.

“Be aware of your surroundings. Look for people that look out of place. If you report something and it’s wrong, it’s no big deal. We rather have you respond and be wrong than not respond at all,” McKee said.

Students can report to the police by calling 585-COPS (2677).

Top 10 Most Stolen Cars

1 Toyota Camry 19892 Honda Accord 19943 Honda Civic 20004 Chevrolet Full Size C/K Pickup 19925 Ford Full Size Pickup 150/250/350 19976 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee 19937 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme/Ciera 19868 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan 19949 Ford Taurus 199610 Toyota Corolla 2001Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau