Letter to the Editor: Chrony needs proofreaders

Editor:In recent editions, your writershave asked for input from readerson how to make The Utah Chroniclebetter. I figured I’d answer the call.In order for The Chronicle to bettermeet my needs, I would like foryour staff to proofread their articlesmore carefully. Almost every morning,I pick up a copy of The Chroniclebefore class, and almost everymorning I find mistakes that couldhave easily been avoided.Now, I would hardly claim thatI am the know all and be all whenit comes to grammar. However, itdoesn’t take a Ph.D. in technicalwriting to know the difference between”there” and “their” (“Chronycartoonist wins award,” Feb. 24).To be completely fair, mistakes ofthis kind are the least frequent typeof mistakes I’ve found while readingThe Chronicle. Usually it’s somethingalong the lines of words missingfrom picture captions (“MLKcelebration to be marked throughthe arts,” Jan. 12), inaccurate text intables (“Bookstore Blues,” Jan. 25) ormisspelled story descriptions on thefront page.The Chronicle is one of the betterstudent-run newspapers out there;it deserves to be taken seriously.That is hard to do when one findsmistakes typical of third graders,indicating that someone neglectedto take the extra step beyond spellcheck in Microsoft Word and actuallyproofreading.Teresa TuanJunior, Biochemistry