I’m Sorry Did my EDUCATION get in the way of your construction.

By [email protected]

How is it that a university that claims to be full of educated and intelligent people is having such troubles with Parking and Construction? I almost wrote a week ago regarding the changes in the U-lot parking: Why make this Change in the middle of the semester? Students plan their schedules Months in advance, many of us down to the minute. A small change in parking stalls may not seem like a big deal to those who don’t park there, but to those who do It’s a horrendous change. When I’ve registered for classes and made work commitments based on where I’ve Paid to park and how long it takes to walk to class I can’t just change my work schedule or ask my professor to start class 10 minutes latter. Since the U stalls have been reduced in the closest parking lot to OSH, I’ve had to park about 8 minutes walk farther away, which means I’ve been 8 minutes late to school every day, and 8 minutes late to work every afternoon. Since these same changes I haven’t had a class where fewer than 3 people walked in 5 or more minutes late; an uncommon occurrence before. If students have to wait until the end of the semester and plan months ahead to make any changes, the school should be forced to do the same. Are we really that inept or financially strapped that we can’t figure out how to start construction and implement these changes a day or two after Graduation??? I didn’t write a week ago as most of my emotions were express by others, and the response was disheartening. Today however I ran into more construction delays for the new traffic light on Central Campus Drive. (Years overdue!!) And then I read your article “Traffic light construction begins on Central Campus Drive” and noticed the construction was being conducted “9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.” 9-4 Weekdays? Did I miss something. Was it possible that someone just Forgot that is the Absolute busiest time possible? Is it more difficult to install a single traffic light than it is to complete a major Freeway overhaul? Does the administration really not care that much about students struggling to manage their time, and more importantly their stress levels, that they don’t even consider these things? I’m not saying don’t make changes, I’m not suggestion to halt all construction. I just can’t fathom the rational behind these types of interruptions in my education. With students filling in the first 15 minutes of class it takes 20 minutes to make it through 5 minutes material, and that’s 30% of my class time. Vital class time especially approaching finals. The most disheartening is that ASUU and/or the Administration hasn’t done anything about it. With any luck, and a little understanding regarding my tardiness, I’ll graduate this May and won’t have to deal with these ever-recurring dilemmas. I’m just sad for my class mates who will endure years more of this frustration. Maybe someday a light will go on, someone in the administration will remember they are an “educator” and they will stand up for the students. Until then You can catch us running across campus, rushing into class late and out of breath and getting reprimanding scowls from my professors as I’m the third student to interrupt class.

Ben TaylorEnglish Senior.