Greeks celebrate themselves

Today, campus fraternities and sororities will kick off “Greek Week”-a five-day event comprised of service and recognition.

“It’s really a celebratory week,” said greek adviser Lori McDonald. “It’s a spring celebration of being greek.”

Each sorority has joined with a fraternity to create seven teams that will compete for points all week.

Teams will earn points by wearing their greek letters and togas to class, collecting clothing donations and selling tennis balls for Thursday’s Huntsman Cancer fund-raiser, Running of the Balls.

All students can buy balls for $5 each, or five for $20.

The greeks will roll all the balls down Presidents’ Circle on Thursday. Students may qualify for different prizes based on where the balls land.

Last week, members of Phi Delta Theta tried to get a head start on other houses by selling tennis balls at the residence halls.

They were kicked out.

Now, Johnny Trujillo, Greek Week representative for Phi Delta Theta, has a new plan.

Trujillo said he would get fraternity brothers who live in the residence halls to talk to the people they know. This way, he said, the fraternity won’t get in trouble for selling the balls in the residence halls.

Monday April 11Greek Letter Check-in: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Women’s Resource Center (293 Union)Mocktail Hour at the Officer’s Club 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Tuesday April 12Zoo Trip. 3 to 5 p.m. at Hogle ZooMovie Night at Fort Douglas Post Theatre 7 p.m.

Wednesday April 13 Olympics Sports noon to 3 p.m. at the Outdoor RecQuiz Bowl 7 to 8 p.m. at SBS AuditoriumKaraoke 8 to 9 p.m. at SBS Auditorioum

Thursday April 14Running of the Balls 4 p.m. at Presidents’ Circle

Friday April 15Wear a Toga to class, check in at UnionJazz Game 7 p.m.Toga Party and Greek Week Winners announced. Details TBA.