Ethnic engineers hold conference on Saturday

The Society of Ethnic Student Engineers will host a leadership conference Saturday at the Heritage Center.

The event, which will include lectures, workshops and a raffle, was designed to help engineering students after they graduate.

“I hope it makes students better leaders and help them understand what it takes in the real world,” said Ryan Yoshida, activities chairperson and senior in electrical engineering.

Yoshida says while other leadership conferences exist on campus, he and his fellow leaders in the society wanted to give advice specifically for engineering and science students.

“After students have left the shelter of school, they will have to conduct meetings. Everything in science is leading or knowing how to work with leaders,” he said.

The event will also include breakfast to award those students who get there early, according to Terumi Hisano, membership chairperson and junior in chemical engineering.

The Associated Students of the University of Utah and the College of Engineering provided funding, Yoshida said.

The conference begins at 8 a.m. in the Heritage Center and is free to students.

Sheena McFarland

Schedule of Events

8 a.m.: Registration

8:30 a.m.: Ice Breaker

9-9:45 a.m.: Keynote Speaker

9:50-10:50 a.m.: Workshop 1

10:55-11:55 a.m.: Workshop 2

11:55 a.m.: Raffle