Baseball loses two of three vs. UNLV

The Utes (12-22 overall, 5-10 Mountain West Conference) had a rocky series against UNLV (17-22. 11-4 MWC) this weekend.

Following an impressive 9-5 win on Friday, Ute pitchers combined to surrender 29 runs over the next two contests against the Rebels on Saturday and Sunday.

Jason Price (2-6) pitched all nine innings in Friday’s win, allowing six hits and one walk. Ute hitters managed a run or more off of all five pitchers that took the mound for UNLV.

Reigning Mountain West Player of the Week Jay Brossman got off to a great start on his excellent series (11-14 at the plate on the weekend), homering and going 4-5. Leadoff hitter John Welsh smacked a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth that would put the Utes ahead for good. Joe Mozeleski added 3 RBIs, bolstering a lineup that sprayed 15 hits on the day.

The torrid hitting continued in game two-this time from both squads, as the U’s Matt Crockett (3-7) was torched for 8 runs in 2 2/3rd innings before Steven Collora came on in relief and allowed six more.

Rebels Chris Bonnell and Tyler Beranek both hit bombs in the fourth and CJ Lang had four hits and 5 RBI’s for UNLV, who scored 18.

The Utes did their best to match that astounding number, torching Rebel pitching for 8 runs in the sixth, and clawing back into the contest. Brossman hit his fifth home run of the season and Doug Beck hit a two-RBI triple in the ninth.

Both lineups came back to earth a little in game three, as the Utes trailed just 4-3 after six innings. Their bullpen wearing thin, the Utes turned to Josh Cooper in relief, who was shelled for five runs on six hits in the fifth, putting the game out of reach.

The Rebels avoided any bullpen problems of their own, riding the arm of hurler Derek Rodriguez, who threw 140 pitches in a complete game effort.

Bryce Freed (3-4 takes the loss for the Utes after allowing three runs in 4 1/3rd innings.

Next up for the Utes is Utah Valley State at Ute Field on Tuesday (2 p.m.)