Utes-At-A-Glance

Women’s hoops

Former Ute All-American Julie Krommenhoek was named to the 15 year All-WAC first team. Through a fan vote, the WAC came up with the team that also included Marla Brumfield of Rice, Cheryl Ford of Louisiana Tech, Becky Hammon of Colorado State, and Karlin Kennedy of SMU.

Between 1994 and 1998, Krommenhoek amassed 2,087 points, leaving as Utah’s all time leading scorer. She ranks fifth all-time on the WAC career scoring average list, with a mark of 17.8 points per game. She holds the WAC career record for free-throw percentage, with .851 percent.

Tennis

The Utes head to the Mountain West Conference Championships this week, as the men’s and women’s teams will be in San Diego for the tournament that runs from April 28-30. The fifth-seeded women Utes open up play at 2 p.m. against fourth-seeded SDSU.

The men are also a five seed, and will start play against UNLV at 2:30 p.m.

Golf

Utah placed 16th at the Ping Cougar Classic over the weekend, finishing with an eight over-par three round score of 872. Ashdon Woods finished tied for 24th, with a four-under par 212. A final round three under-par 69 allowed Steve Newren to finish three strokes behind Woods.

Next up for the duffin’ Utes is the MWC championships, this weekend in Sunriver, Ore.

Gymnastics

Senior gymnast Annabeth Eberle was named a finalist for the AAI Senior Gymnast of the Year award. Assistant Coach Megan Marsden was voted Co-Assistant Coach of the Year.

Aki Hummel, an assistant coach since 1993, is leaving the U to pursue a private business venture.

“This is one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,” Hummel said.

“I feel like I’m leaving my family.”

Hummel won the 1997 and 1998 NCAA Region Assistant Coach of the Year award, with his main discipline being the uneven bars. He coached 22 gymnasts to first team All-America honors on bars, and seven second-team All-Americans.