Broad strokes: U art professor displays intimacy on a large scale

By Andrew Huffaker

Paintings by U Assistant Professor of Art John O’Connell probably wouldn’t be shown alongside those of Thomas Kinkade or Arnold Freiberg.

Even though O’Connell is a local Utah artist, it’s doubtful that his work will ever be found inside The Church Museum of History and Art. It’s not that O’Connell’s work is in any way obscene or in bad taste, it just deviates from the Utah norm.

Put simply, O’Connell paints on a large scale. His “Judgment of Paris” and “Waiting II” are both mixed media on canvas, measuring an enormous 84 inches by 72 inches. O’Connell manages to create depth and texture in his paintings through the layering of material-he captivates his viewer through the use of thick, heavy paint and the ability to make his medium crack in intriguing and complex ways.

“I move back and forth between methods of working, leaving a build-up of residue on the surface. Whether the relationship that results is visually apparent or completely buried under a history of painted moments, a differential relationship has occurred and continues to occur within the work,” O’Connell said.

O’Connell’s “Canyon Road” series of work consists of smaller paintings on panel that measure 24 inches by 28 inches.

His smaller works spark the same level of interest as his larger works do. O’Connell’s mastery of color is one of the most entrancing aspects of his paintings.

Although O’Connell paints on a fairly large scale, he manages to turn every inch of his paintings into visually stimulating, intimate moments.

“My paintings offer an arena for my actions, drives and desires to display themselves. The process of painting records every gesture without judgment.”

O’Connell’s solo show is on display at the A Gallery, located at 1321 S. 2100 East, through the end of May.