Don’t be a slave to the cell phone: Technology meant for communication can lead to isolation

By Dylan Bean

Technology is great. Because of scientific advances, we have the ability to do things that our grandparents would have considered miracles in their own time. New devices and networks are connecting people worldwide.

There is a paradox in this technology advancement, however: While faster connections are made possible through technology, it seems like the individual is becoming more disconnected to society.

For example, cell phones have made it possible for us to communicate with people all over the country and world. But now that we are constantly attached to our own personal network, we are naturally less inclined to face-to-face interact with the people around us.

Let’s say you have a 20-minute break between classes. While walking to the next class, you instinctively pull out your cell phone to check in with a friend who is at home.

You have no reason to call your friend, but you’d rather have company during your short stroll across campus.

Though it seems like the cell phone has made your life better because you have more contact with your friend, there is a cost to this seemingly harmless face-to-face interaction.

While you are on the phone, you pass dozens of people-some of whom are probably at least acquaintances.

You still make contact with them by a quick nod of the head, but would have happened had you not been talking on your cell?

Perhaps you would have stopped and talked to one or more of these people. Maybe a short conversation would have led to an invitation to hang out or even a date.

We will never know what fate had to offer us all those times that we were distracted by our cell phones.

Not only do cell phones cause us to miss out on those random interactions, they also influence the quality of conversation.

Think about the most meaningful conversations people have. Most likely these conversations involved actual face-to-face interaction.

In this type of conversation, people do more than just talk and listen. They read facial expressions, notice body language and feel emotions.

Owning a cell phone means more time talking to voices and less time communicating in person.

Unfortunately, real-life contact is becoming a thing of the past. As our time on the phone increases, our conversations become less meaningful. Cell phones cause us to change the way we listen and respond.

When talking on a cell, we can’t help but multitask. Isn’t that the goal of technology, after all?

While multitasking is important in the workplace, it shouldn’t be necessary when talking with friends and acquaintances. Having a conversation while checking e-mails, doing the laundry or watching “Seinfeld” re-runs just isn’t the type of interaction that brings us closer together.

I’m not suggesting that we stop using cell phones altogether. I would like to propose, however, that when we find ourselves surrounded by people-be they friends, acquaintances or strangers-we try switching the phones off.

We should keep focused on the friends we are with and seek more meaningful conversation. We should reach out to the strangers around us.

After all, in the end it’s not the relationship we have with our Blackberry that will matter.