University Bookstore works to provide cheap textbooks

By Dustin Gardiner

The University Bookstore is the traditional supplier of textbooks for students on campus, yet it is often criticized as being overpriced and unconcerned about the students it serves.

Shane Girton, associate director of the bookstore, said that the bookstore aims to save students money and provide convenient access to textbooks.

“We care about trying to save students as much money as we can,” Girton said. “Textbooks are expensive. Nobody can deny that. We don’t set the price-that is set by the publisher.” Girton said that the bookstore saves students money in several ways.

“Our goal is to find the cheapest alternatives for students. That is why we carry so many used textbooks, offer a five percent student discount and sell E-books,” said Girton.

He particularly stressed how used books save students money. Forty percent of the books in the bookstore are used books, which are priced at 25 percent less than new books.

“We carry a larger percent of used books, which we have calculated to save the students about $1 million a year,” said Girton. Girton also stressed that all students can get 5 percent off of their purchases at the bookstore by simply using their UCard.

With textbooks costing as much as $400 to $600 per semester, many students are seeking alternative sources, such as amazon.com or eBay, for their textbooks.

Girton encourages students to shop around and compare prices.

“Our cost is compatible with a lot of other sources,” Girton said. “We advise students to shop around, but don’t discredit us because we can be cheaper.”

Girton listed some additional advantages to shopping at the bookstore. The bookstore is convenient to students because it’s located on campus, he said.

Not only is the bookstore convenient because of its central location on the U campus, but the bookstore also offers face-to-face service and advice, which its competitors cannot offer, Girton said. He described the bookstore staff, which constitutes mostly of students, as helpful to students because many of them have taken the same classes and can tell students if they actually need the book.

“We guarantee that the book that students buy is the correct book for the class,” Girton said. “Often with other sources students get the wrong book.”

Another service that distinguishes the bookstore from its competitors is its full two-week refund policy. This gives students the chance to return books for a full refund if they drop the class.

Besides cost and convenience, Girton encourages students to use the bookstore because about 4 cents of every dollar spent at the bookstore goes back to the university.

“If students buy from somewhere else, their profit doesn’t stay on campus,” he said.