You can’t outlaw a necessary evil: Anti-abortion advocates should support gay adoptions

By Jeremy Millsap

Abortion will always be a controversial issue. Everyone has heard the arguments for and against it or, at the very least, seen the signs protestors carry around.

I’m not going to waste time by restating old rhetoric, nor am I going to claim to speak for God or pretend to know what he/she thinks.

If abortion constitutes a sin, it’s a necessary evil.

If it is necessary, it must be defended in its absolute, unrestricted state.

In the spectrum of abortion rights versus anti-abortion political beliefs, the majority of people fall in the middle.

If left up to the whims of individuals, the law would change enormously every four years. As such, it would lose any real validity.

The whole notion of killing an unborn child is unsettling, but it’s just not that simple. It never is.

One thing we can all do to help lower the number of abortions in this country is to promote adoption as an alternative.

The thing I find most deplorable about the anti-abortion crusade is its drive to stop homosexual couples from adopting children.

These causes are completely at odds, but they shouldn’t be. They are both derived from a religious notion, but if the life of the child were the primary concern to the leaders of the anti-abortion movement, everything else would ultimately be secondary.

So if you really wanted to decrease abortions, why would you ban homosexual couples from adopting?

If children were given loving homes-instead of being floated from foster home to foster home like an unwanted package-maybe mothers wouldn’t feel it necessary to abort them.

The solution to stopping abortion is not bombing clinics, spitting on unwed mothers, packing the Supreme Court with conservatives, sending threatening letters to the employees of Planned Parenthood or even trying to legislate against it.

If you want to save the life of a fetus, you should adopt a baby yourself-or work to help others who want a child get through the adoption process.