UCard deposits now available online

Students and faculty members can now deposit money onto their UCard via the Internet.

Since June 2005, the programming creator of Blackboard Inc. has delayed the launch of the Web site because of different technical errors.

“This is a pretty big step in expanding the UCard,” student UCard Director Eric Hu said. “I think it will take a little time to build up steam, but in the long term, it’s a very big step.”

Because the creation of the system is out of the control of U administration, Hu describes it as “overly complicated.”

For example, when students log into WebCT, campus e-mail, campus information system or the student portal accounts, they type the same account number, the letter “u” followed by their student number, and password.

But to log into their UCard account, a student excludes typing the first two zeros of the student number.

If guests want to deposit money onto someone else’s UCard account, they use the four-digit number under the student’s name instead of the ID number.

“We are appealing to Blackboard to change their program,” Hu said.

The Blackboard program is still in beta form and is not a finished product, Hu said. The online system will take all major credit cards: American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Discover, with a 3 percent convenience fee for the transaction.

Besides the UCash online accounting function, users can have a personalized calendar, post announcements for other users to see, send e-mail and create an address book.

Users can modify their account to display what they want when they log on.

Also, by clicking on the tab “Useful Stuff,” users can use tools such as a calculator, dictionary and thesaurus and check the weather by zip code.

Student government leaders are expanding the UCard services both on and off campus.

Currently more than 16 off-campus sites accept the UCard, and most offer a discount for users.

Less than 20 vending machines on campus have UCard readers, but when the U renews its contract with Coke in the summer of 2007, it plans to add to the agreement the need to stay up to date with current technologies, including the UCard.

For more information visit www.ucard.utah.edu.

How to Deposit Money on Your UCard Online Method

1. Log on:www.ucard.utah.edu

2. Click on the “Your Account” tab at the top of the page.

3. “Username” is your UNID/Student ID number without the leading “u.” Also, do not include zeros “0” at the beginning of the number if they are part of your UNID/Student ID number.

4. “Password” is the same UNID/Student ID number that you just entered.*This number is located on your UCard underneath your picture or to the right of your picture if your UCard/University Heath Care badge has a bar code on the front.

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD while logged in to UCard Online for the first time1. Click on “Your UCash Account” tab at the top of the page.2. In the “Tools” box at the left of the screen click on “Personal Information.”Click on “Change Password.”Proceed to change your password.

Guest Deposits:1.Log on:www.ucard.utah.edu

2. Click on the “Your Account” tab at the top of the page.3. Fill in the information in the “Guest Deposit” box.The cardholders First and Last name must be capitalized and appear exactly as it is printed on the UCard/University Health Care badge.The Card Number is the 16 digit number underneath the name on the UCard, or the 16 digit number on the back of the University Health Care badge above the Lib Number.

Source: UCard Office