Aaron Allen’s favorite movie moments of 2005

2005 will be remembered as the year of the box-office slump. If you follow the commentary on Movie City News and RogerEbert.com, you know that this story is bogus-the phenomenal, off-season success of 2004’s “The Passion of the Christ” threw off the numbers.

I’d rather remember 2005 for these great movie moments:

…When the first tripod emerges from its subterranean slumber in Steven Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds.” It’s a wondrous and terrifying moment…and a masterpiece of directing by today’s master of suspense. The movie loses its chug toward the end, but what a scene!

…When DJay (Terrence Howard) and his loyal pals lay down their first hip-hop track in Craig Brewer’s “Hustle and Flow.” So much love and pride is riding on this moment, you can’t help but hold your breath.

…When Kong and Ann (Naomi Watts) enjoy their last minutes of happiness together sliding on a frozen pond in Central Park. “King Kong” is the second-best doomed love story of the year (just below “Brokeback”).

…When “Sin City” ruffian Marv (Mickey Rourke) gets a jolt in the electric chair, only to spit out a mouthful of blood and say, “Is that all you got?”

…When Harry (Robert Downey, Jr.) pees on a corpse in Shane Black’s “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.” I guess you had to be there. Speaking of awkward relief…

…When “The 40 Year Old Virgin” (Steve Carell) wakes up a little stiff, sits on a toilet and nearly pees in his face.