What are they building in there? U campus erupts in construction madness

Construction took over the U campus in 2005 as three major construction projects were started and one was finished. The projects displaced several campus parking lots places but will help keep U students and faculty safer and the U on the cutting edge.

The Marriott Library

In March, workers began construction on the Marriot Library, which should be completed in June 2008. The library was declared seismically unsafe, but after the upgrade the building should be able to handle earthquakes that register up to 7.2 on the Richter scale. The new library will include an Automated Retrieval Center, a robotically operated system that will gather materials from a storage unit for students to read.

The Warnock

Engineering Building

Construction on the Warnock Engineering Building began in March 2005 and will be completed in July 2006. The new 100,000 square foot building is designed to give the engineering program needed extra space, said Joseph Harman, manager of campus design and construction services.

Highlights of the building include computer-based classrooms, teaching labs, quiet study areas and cafes. The building will include a Scientific Computing and Imaging facility.

Health Sciences

Education Building

The Health Sciences Education Building was completed in July 2005. This building houses classrooms for pharmacy, nursing and medical students. Highlights include practice exam rooms, technologically advanced classrooms and a mural depicting the history of medicine in Utah.

The building was the first building on campus to be LEED certified, meaning that the building met certain environmental standards set by Salt Lake City. The building is connected to the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library. Spencer F. and Cleone Eccles donated money toward building the new Health Sciences Education Building.

The Chemistry Gauss House

The Gauss House will be home to a new state-of-the-art high field nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) facility. The Gauss House will also contain seven wet labs and 20 research faculty offices. In addition to building the Gauss House, the chemistry department is adding a wing to the Henry Eyring Chemistry Building. The new wing will include more lab space.