Massacre on the Mesa: U women trample Aztecs

The U women’s basketball team got its first conference victory in a big way Wednesday night, as the Utes cruised past San Diego State 76-39.

After struggling in the Utes’ first two conference games (both losses), Kim Smith looked like her old self as she poured in 22 points while grabbing nine rebounds, leading four Utes in double figures.

Smith scored eight of her points within the first nine minutes of the game, helping the Utes jump out to a 17-8 lead with 11:48 left in the first half.

They built their lead to 15 points after consecutive three-point shots were drilled by Morgan Warburton and Jessica Perry, before San Diego State whittled the Ute advantage to 31-19 at the half.

But Utah took over in a hurry in the second half. Senior Julie Larsen buried three three-pointers while scoring 11 points in the first six minutes of the period, guiding the Utes on a 20-0 run that pushed their lead to 51-19 with 13:57 left to play.

The Aztecs finally got a field goal with 6:19 left in the game, as Desiree Johnson slipped past Ute defenders for a lay-up, bringing the score to 67-24.

Most of the Ute starters sat out mid-way through the second half, as Utah coasted to the easy victory.

Larsen finished the game with 13 points, while Perry and Joh-Tenna Filipe each chipped in 11 points for Utah.

LaSandra Dixon was the only Aztec to score in double figures, scoring 10 points.

The Utes will return home to host Colorado State Saturday at the Huntsman Center. Tip off is set for 3 p.m. MST.