Softball starts 2006 season in New Mexico

The Ute softball team will kick off the 2006 season this weekend as it heads to Las Cruces, N.M., to play in the Hilton Las Cruces Invite, a three-day tournament.

Former assistants Marianne Bullis and Kyle Magnusson will lead the Utes this season. They were named interim co-head coaches after former head coach Mona Stevens decided to resign two months ago.

After finishing last season 21-29 overall, Utah is optimistic about the 2006 season.

“We’re going to be a lot deeper offensively this year,” Magnusson said. “Our lineup is not going to be just one-through-four anymore.”

The Utes return their top three hitters from last year’s campaign, sophomore Diana Phillips, senior Ivette Hernandez and junior Devina Quintero.

Phillips and Hernandez were named as all-conference honorees, hitting .309 and .304, respectively.

They’ll have help putting runs on the board from three freshmen, Staci Hemingway, Jessica Shiery and Hailey Davenport.

“The newcomers bring a great amount of talent and enthusiasm to this year’s team,” Bullis said. “We have made improvements in all facets of the game. We’ve added offensive threats in the lineup as well as experience in the circle.

The experience on the mound may be the greatest improvement for this year’s squad.

After going with just two pitchers for all of last year’s season, the Utes will have help from senior Lindsie Nielsen-the lone returning pitcher-and three junior college transfers, Karina Cannon, Meghan Dyer and Sheri Shrock.

Cannon went 29-9 for Odessa College in 2005, helping her team to a third-place finish at the NJCAA National Tournament while recording a 1.30 earned-run average throughout the year.

Dyer led San Joaquin Delta College in 2005 with a 21-2 overall record, with a miniscule 0.50 earned-run average.

Shrock went 18-4 last season for Salt Lake Community College, finishing the year with a 1.78 earned-run average.

“Pitching is our biggest improvement from last year,” Magnusson said. “But, the team’s attitude is a lot better, too. The team chemistry has improved, and that shows in everything we’ve done so far this year.”

The Utes will play 25-straight road games in five different tournaments, including this weekend’s trip to Las Cruces, before playing at home March 24 through 26 in the Utah Invitational.

“This year’s schedule is well-rounded and balanced,” Bullis said. It will test and help us prepare for the Mountain West Conference and postseason tournaments.”

The Utes will face New Mexico State, Colorado State, Texas-San Antonio, Portland State and Ohio State in this weekend’s tournament.