Student government wants to rock out

The student government is holding a pre-sale for 10,000 tickets to its spring music festival, held April 20 to 22, featuring musical artists Yellow Card and the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.

Only U students can buy the tickets until March 10, when the unsold tickets will be released to the general public. Each student can receive six tickets free (two per festival day) with his or her UCard at the Union front desk.

Because of the 10,000-seat capacity, Chris Whipple, festival chairman, said he expects the tickets to sell out-especially the April 21 Virgin College Mega Tour featuring Yellowcard.

The U is the only university on the tour that is not charging students, which includes Colorado State University, Ohio State University and the University of Illinois. Instead, the student government will pay for the concerts.

“We don’t like charging students for events because in essence, it is students’ money that puts it on,” Whipple said.

The music festival will be held during a three-day period, an expansion from the one-day event in 2005.

“We want to give it a more musical-festival feel,” Whipple said.

The concerts will take place in the free speech area behind the Union. An eight-foot fence extending from the OSH building, Marriott Library and Union building will close off the area.

The student government will assemble a 40-foot-by-40-foot stage-the largest in festival history, said Jessica Nuffer, concerts chairwoman.

Students must pick up a different ticket for each day.

The April 20 show will feature Del tha Funkee Homosapien, the Von Bondies and another artist yet to be determined.

Tickets for non-students are $15.

The April 21 show will feature the Virgin College Mega Tour featuring Yellowcard, Mae and a special guest.

The tour’s stop also includes an interactive village during the day with live music from up-and-coming bands and a bus from Major League Baseball. The bus will have merchandise and a batting and pitching cage.

Tickets are $20 for non-students and $10 for students with another college’s student ID.

The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs will close out the festival April 22. Tickets cost $15 for non-students.

Students are still eligible for tickets after the March 10 pre-sale.