Health Science Briefs

ARUP wins healthy workplace award

ARUP Laboratories recently won the American Psychological Association’s National Psychologically Healthy Workplace Award.

ARUP was given the award because of its development in health and safety, employee growth and development, work-life balance and employee recognition.

The U department of pathology manages ARUP.

Moran Eye Center manager wins award

Laurel Kay, the manager of surgical, laser, pharmacy and anesthesia at the Moran Eye Center, won the American College of Healthcare Executive’s Senior-Level Healthcare Executive Regent’s Award.

Kay received the award for her leadership and management skills as well as her participation in the community and with the American College of Healthcare.

Associate director of the U’s physician assistant program wins grant

Constance Goldgar, associate director of the U’s physician assistant program, won a $20,000 grant for the American Academy of Physician Assistants.

The grant will help fund a Web-based program to help educate physician assistant practitioners, students and educators about genetics in primary care.

U Hospital honors volunteer

University Hospital honored volunteer Herb Russell for his 50 years of dedication.

The hospital made pins and posters that read “Herb Russell Day.”

Russell worked at the U for 25 years and began volunteering at Salt Lake County General Hospital in 1956.

He now volunteers at U Hospital every Thursday, delivering newspapers and mail to hospital patients.

Professor ranked in the 95th percentile of distributing grants

Chris Ireland, professor and chairmain of the department of medicinal chemistry at the U College of Pharmacy, was ranked in the 95th percentile of the distribution of National Institutes of Health Grants in the last 25 years.

A team of health economists recognized Ireland for his impact as one of the top National Institute of Health grantees.