Student group takes on cancer with Relay for Life

By Alex Steele

Colleges Against Cancer, a U student group, wants to get people moving as it promotes cancer awareness in Salt Lake City.

The club is sponsoring Relay For Life, a fund-raising event April 7 similar to Race for the Cure, where participants stay awake for an entire night in a walk/run to honor cancer survivors.

“Cancer doesn’t sleep, and neither should we,” said Zach Groutage, president of the Utah chapter of Colleges Against Cancer.

This year’s Relay For Life will be held on the Union patio, beginning at 6 p.m. and end at 9 a.m. on April 8.

“Our main goal is to raise money for cancer. We’ve already raised more than $15,000 this year, but we still have a long way to go,” said Sid Groutage, vice president of Relay For Life.

The American Cancer Society approached Zach Groutage last year at a Colleges Against Cancer event and asked him to start a Utah chapter of the organization.

Relay For Life is the biggest event of the year for Colleges Against Cancer. “Everybody is invited,” said Sid Groutage. “We’re going to have bands, casino night and Dance Dance Revolution.”

Despite being a fairly new group, it already boasts nearly 20 members. But that isn’t enough to fulfill the goals of the club, the Groutages said.

“We would really like to begin promoting different cancer types each month, we just don’t have the membership to do that now,” said Zach Groutage.

“There’s nothing people really have to do as far as membership goes. It’s pretty much volunteering to raise awareness,” Sid Groutage explained.

Students interested in membership with Colleges Against Cancer can email Sid Groutage at [email protected].

Information about this year’s Relay For Life can be found at www.acsevents.org/relay/ut/uofu.