Thousands crowd streets for immigration protest

By Ana Breton

More than 10,000 people gathered yesterday to send Congress a peaceful message about immigration reform.

The protest, which lasted more than four hours, packed State Street in Salt Lake City and blocked off most of the surrounding area.

Students, teachers and complete families were brought together from Ogden to St. George to promote “Dignity and Respect for All,” a movement against House Bill 4437, which would make “illegal presence” a felony.

Although the group was scattered with various flags from the United States and Latino countries, most participants who marched from the County Building to the State Capitol were draped in white clothing, signifying unity.

Mayor Rocky Anderson, who spoke at the rally before the march, said that this protest was a pivotal moment in which our nation would either be lead astray from humanity or would finally reconfirm the greatness that our country has established.

“We have to demand the abolishment of the unjust practices and policies that hurt so many hardworking people-the practices that only force them and their families to live in fear in the margins of our nation,” Anderson said.

Alex Segura, director of the Minuteman Project, a counter group that opposed the march, said he didn’t feel outnumbered even though only 150 group members attended the “Pro-America Rally.”

“I wanted us to be outnumbered because I wanted people to see what kind of problem we have and how out of control the issue of immigration really is,” Segura said. “If anything, this is an intimidation tactic.”

Jocelyn Jackman, a graduate student in nursing, said she joined the protest because she was impressed to see so many people gathered in a peaceful, constructive manner.

“We weren’t initially involved, but we decided to stay because it’s a big issue for the community,” Jackman said. “I hope politicians realize that the community is united and it has a strong opinion.”

Tyler Smith, a graduate student in finance, said that although he was one of the only U students in the “Pro America Rally,” he didn’t feel intimidated.

“I don’t feel outnumbered because I feel we’re the silent majority,” Smith said. “I think more citizens support what we are protesting, but haven’t had time to voice their beliefs.”

In addition to the Dignity March, the Utah Hispanic Legislature Taskforce is hosting a separate “Unity Rally” at the City and County Building today at 4:30 p.m.