Stay out all night with Damone

By Jesse Peterson

DamoneOut Here All NightThe Island Def Jam Music GroupThree-and-a-half out of five stars

I don’t know if it’s just me, but it seems like girls in rock bands are getting more popular these days. Damone, fronted by a talented femme fatale named Noelle, is one of these bands, but the vocal sex appeal of its leading lady isn’t the band’s only trump card.

Damone is an interesting blend of various rock ‘n’ roll styles. In Out Here All Night, vestiges of punk, metal and pop come into play and meld together quite nicely. The band has taken its influences and managed to put a well-developed record together with clever hooks and fast-paced beats. The guitar work, at times, is impressive. All in all, it’s nice to see some eclecticism.

Nevertheless, Damone’s slower stuff (except track 12) lacks a little bit of “umph,” and the record seems to deteriorate after the first few tracks into more generic sounds with choruses a little too monotonous for their own good. The album does pick up speed toward the end, and I came THIS close (imagine my hands about a ruler’s length apart) to giving the album four out of five stars. Oh, soooo close-maybe the excerpt of the guy asking if anyone wants to make out in track seven caused me to hesitate a little.

Whatever.

The crux of the matter is that you can download Damone’s single “Out Here All Night” (Amazing! The same title as the CD!!) for FREE off iTunes. It’s the download of the week. Fancy that. (You can get Out Here All Night for only $6.99 from iTunes as well, all you iPod-toting gangstas.) And if that isn’t important enough, Damone will be in concert TONIGHT in the Avalon at 7:00 p.m., with Bullets and Octane, Valient Thorr and I think some other band I don’t want to look up right now. Tickets are $8 in advance.

Go to the show and express your undying love to Noelle, or the boys, and maybe you’ll get a kiss.

Tell Noelle I said that.