The play’s the thing

A box of tampons was the last thing Brandon Alva expected to stumble across on moving day.

“I still have them,” said Alva, a senior English major, expressing his inability to decide what to do with the remnant of a previous girlfriend. “I think I’m going to make a display case.”

Instead of tossing the feminine products away, Alva used the artifacts of an old relationship as inspiration for a monologue.

His monologue is one of 11 student pieces that will be performed at City Art, an event held at the Salt Lake City Main Library tonight at 7 p.m. The pieces were created by students of a play construction class in the U’s English department.

The plays come from a “smashing group of new talent,” said Jeff Metcalf, the course professor.

“The night will be filled with human poetry of language and common threads of universal experience in their work,” said Metcalf. The students’ plays provided a variety of insights on the humors of life.

But the inspiration did not come without hard work.

Scott Gunther, a junior English major, wrote so many drafts of his play “about a guy who is raised by a family of vegans and grows up to be a butcher and gets disowned in the process” that he didn’t know which copy on his computer was the right one.

Gunther said the final product almost took him the entire semester to complete.

“The first draft took a couple of weeks, then I revised every week, and the last revision happened last week,” Gunther said.

One student in the class has taken on extra responsibilities outside of having her play selected. Jennie Sant, a junior theater and stage management major, is in charge of bringing the plays to life.

She is the technical director for the performance group, helping with the space, placement and timing of the actors.

The students agreed that the opportunity to see their work performed is a good experience.

“It’s cool to have something in the world, to have it out there in the world,” Gunther said.”

Maegan Burr

Jennie Sant and Scott Gunther discuss their plays, which were two of 11 selected student pieces that will be performed at City Art, an event held at the Salt Lake City Main Library tonight at 7 p.m. The pieces were created by students of a play construction class in the U’s English department.