Board of Trustees meeting briefs

By Clara Freedman

U raises AP writing score requirements

The U Board of Trustees passed an article raising the minimum Advanced Placement writing score from a three to a four in order to become exempt from the university’s lower-division writing requirement.

The decision was passed at a May 8 board meeting and will be effective beginning Spring Semester 2007.

The AP writing exam is a nationally standardized test given to junior and senior high-school students in upper-level English classes. The scoring system ranges from zero to five. Scores of one and two are considered failing.

The U is currently the only four-year institution in Utah that allows exemption from the Writing 2010 requirement with an AP score of three.

Three out of the five Utah schools require a minimum score of five.

U Hospital conference room named after late hospital CEO

The University Hospital conference room has been named in the honor of the late Richard A. Fullmer, former chief executive officer of the University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics.

The Richard A. Fullmer Hospital Conference Room will be relocated in the new West Pavilion of the hospital.

Fullmer died of cancer on Feb. 3, at the age of 61. He joined UUHC in 1980 and served as assistant administrator, chief financial officer and interim executive director before becoming CEO in May 2000.

Throughout his career, Fullmer led the hospital through the openings of the Eccles Critical Care Pavilion, U Orthopedic Center, the Huntsman Cancer Hospital and the national accreditation of the hospital’s trauma, burn and stroke services.

Board approves remodel of third floor of U Hospital

At the same meeting, the U Board of Trustees approved a plan to remodel the Neuro Critical Care Nurse Station on the third floor of University Hospital.

The $255,813 budget for the project will provide remodeling of patient rooms and a new telemetry nurse call system and modular station.

Board approves new music minor

The board also approved proposals for a new minor in arts technology and a new jazz-studies track within the music master’s degree.

The arts and technology minor will be available to undergraduate students pursuing fine arts degrees. A minimum of 16 credit hours from a selected class list is required to complete the minor.

The purpose of the addition of jazz studies to the other six possible tracks is to diversify the program and allow students with a particular interest in jazz to have more flexibility, said Director of the School of Music Robert Wazel.