ASUU to fill void of U tradition

By Christian Poole

Student leaders want to bring more tradition to the U campus.

Their plan is to bring together diverse campus groups to work for a worthy goal, such as raising money for the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

The idea is in response to student leaders’ beliefs regarding the lack of tradition on campus.

“I don’t know of any campus-wide, frivolous traditions,” said Jacob Kirkham, student body president.

During the March elections, Kirkham touted the idea of a dance marathon-a competition between student groups where they would stay awake and on their feet for 22 hours. Motivational speakers, DJs and the encouragement of their fellow students would bolster their tired efforts.

“We feel this is an event that, if done right, will create a tradition that will last a long time at the U,” he said.

Some faculty agreed that the U is in need of tradition.

“With the campus as spread-out as it is, it’s hard to have campus-wide traditions,” said Arlyn Bradshaw, a legislative adviser for the Associated Students of the University of Utah.

“I cannot think of any specific overarching tradition we have here,” said former Senior Class President Lissy Black.

Black attributed the low levels of student-driven traditions to the size and diversity of the student body and the large percentage of commuter students.

Mark Matheson, associate professor of English, agreed, saying that the U draws students who work, live off campus and commute to school.

At private schools, the students tend to be less burdened by the need to work, and they generally live on campus for the first year at least, he said.

Vincent Cheng, professor of English, said that when students do not commute, but live together in the dorms for several semesters as a class, they tend to develop and maintain better traditions.

In the meantime, however, some students don’t seem to mind the lack of collegiate tradition at the U.

“I come here for the classes. I just want to get done and get out of here,” said Geneva Liimatta, a senior in English, who commutes to the U.

Lennie Mahler

ASUU President Jake Kirkham and student Angie McMullen, who will be responsible for organizing the event, review the duties that will go along with a proposed dance marathon. The activity will last 22 consecutive hours in which student groups will compete with each other without sleeping.