Guster musters some courage

By Jesse Peterson

Guster

Ganging Up On The Sun

Reprise Records/Warner Music Group

Four out of five stars

Guster returns with the release of its fifth full-length record, Ganging Up On The Sun. Full of luscious melodies and a subdued awareness of its craft, Ganging is poignant and emotional. For those interested in well-layered, sonically adventurous pop/indie rock, Guster is the band.

Of course, a loyal fan base has always revolved around Guster, but Ganging has the potential to launch it toward mainstream popularity. In other words, indie geeks-fashion conscious D.I.-clothes-wearers who think being vegan is part of their wardrobe-will no longer be the only listeners. However, geeks need not be afraid because Guster still retains much of what made it so appealing to this elitist, overbearing, uppity indie crowd in the first place.

First and foremost, the harmonics are excellent. Ganging also varies in styles, containing instances of power pop, country and even progressive rock in the ambitious “Ruby Falls,” which clocks in at over seven minutes.

The variations of percussive instruments, which originally seemed more gimmicky when Guster first formed, are spot on. The piano, bongos and snare/high-hat combo fit perfectly with the atmosphere Guster creates.

Adding another musician to the band has really helped in introducing more complexity to Guster’s already catchy repertoire. For live performances, Joe Pisapia’s added presence will be a great boon to recreate the intricacies Ganging strives to achieve.

This may be a skillful album, but there’s nothing that screams “classic!” or “gotta have,” and Ganging is expensive for a normal full-length. In fact, long-time Guster fans might be turned off by the richer sounds and orchestrations.

Whether Ganging is Guster’s best is still to be decided, but any bickering should be left to all the nerds in thick, black-rimmed glasses and scarves?as I’m sure it will.