American for a day

By Ana Breton

For 2,000 U students, Independence Day does not land on July 4.

That’s because, for international students attending the U, celebrating Independence Day means commemorating the day their birth countries gained their sovereignty.

This year’s Fourth of July marked the first time some of these foreign-born students celebrated an Independence Day under the American flag.

Saida Mammadova, who came to the United States in August, participated in a traditional barbeque with her host family and watched fireworks in Sugar House.

Independence Day celebrations closely mirror the people who participate in them, said Mammadova, a second-year graduate student in finance.

“The first thing I observed is that this is a great occasion for the whole family to get together,” she said. “This mimics the unification and solidarity features of a well organized, independent country in the pattern of a family.”

Mammadova is originally from the Republic of Azerbaijan, which is located at the crossroads of Russia, Georgia and the Caspian Sea. Its population of 8 million celebrates its independence on Oct. 18.

During her country’s celebration, family members call one another to extend congratulations, she said.

“For the people of Azerbaijan, Independence Day is more of a spiritual celebration because of its great significance to the nation’s self-consciousness,” she said. “Nevertheless, we also have tremendous fireworks and shows organized by city administrations.”

For Pamela Talledo, attending a firework show with her boyfriend was one of the highlights of her American Independence Day.

Talledo, a junior in international studies, moved from Peru one year ago to study at the U.

The people of Peru celebrate their Independence Day on July 28 by taking advantage of the holiday to travel with their families, Talledo said.

“Most of the time, there are parties that last until the next morning and continue the next day,” Talledo said. “Gathering to eat Peruvian food is also a common way to celebrate it.”

As to what celebration these students prefer-Independence Day in their country of origin or in the United States-both women said their own.

“I like my Independence Day better because I can relate to it more,” Talledo said. “I don’t have an American family, so I don’t feel as patriotic as others do.”

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 34 million foreign-born residents lived in the United States during 2004. They accounted for 12 percent of the nation’s total population. Another 30 million Americans are “second-generation,” meaning that at least one of their parents was born abroad.