U organizations team up to help refugees

By Ana Breton

Whether alone or with parts of their broken families, thousands of people are forced to flee their own countries every day in search of refuge.

Some people search for religious freedom; others fear persecution due to their race, nationality or political differences. Some have no other choice.

Where refugees end up is beyond their control, and what the U can do to make their lives easier is in the hands of its students, said Simone Fritz, African American program coordinator at the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs.

CESA has teamed up with the Bennion Center to help immigrants in what may be the organizations’ biggest refugee service project ever.

“Refugees are not new to this world,” Fritz said. “It’s about time we tackled a real issue like this one.”

Hygiene product donations are needed for refugee resettlement families. Products needed include soap, toothpaste and shampoo, among many others.

“These people have faced everything from language to economic barriers,” Fritz said. “What they need now is the very basic things so they can begin to regain their self-worth.”

Project coordinators are also urging organizations on and off campus to help with the refugee effort.

Hygiene kits will be organized during Plazafest on Aug. 26 from 1 to 4 p.m. Donations will be given to the Catholic Community Services of Utah, which receives and houses refugees for the first three to six months of their new lives in America.

Refugees are often overlooked when people complain about immigration, CCSU project coordinator Daniel Watt said.

“I’ve heard horrendous stories from these people about what they’ve been through and what it was like running for their lives,” Watt said. “I think it’s great that we can give them a new chance at life and help them become people again.”

According to Norman Nakamura, state coordinator of Refugee Resettlement Program, there have been about 42,000 refugees in Utah since 2000. The number, however, cannot be calculated accurately because some refugees migrate from state to state.

Half of those refugees are estimated to be younger than 18.

The project, Fritz said, will hopefully connect students to a different type of campus diversity.

“Diversity is not hiring ethnic dancers for a festival,” Fritz said. “To understand diversity, we have to look at the different levels of it -starting with the population who has the most need.”

As far as the ideal donation amount for the project, Joani Shaver, service-learning manager at the Bennion Center, said there are no set goals.

“We have no way of knowing who will come-all we can do is encourage people to help,” Shaver said. “I just hope this connects them with the community and puts a face on the need-that’s what we’re out to do.”

Volunteer and donation sign-up sheets are available at CESA, located in Union room 318. They will be accepted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Aug. 26.