Incoming freshmen trust Mr. Rogers more than Walter Cronkite

By Ana Breton

For incoming freshman this year, life has always been digital.

They grew up with virtual pets to feed, water and play with-lest they die.

They are wireless, yet connected, have known bar codes to be on everything from library cards to retail items and have rarely mailed anything using a stamp.

These digital observations are just a few of the landmarks published by the Beloit College Mindset List. The list, which is made up of 75 trend-oriented items, gives the world perspectives from the incoming class.

Created by two Beloit College faculty members, humanities Professor Tom McBride and Public Affairs Director Ron Nief, the list offers a way for educators to connect with the current generation.

“It is an important reminder to faculty, some of whom are only a Ph.D older than their students, that what we call ‘hardening of the references’ can set in quickly,” Nief said in a written statement.

The list can also serve as a way to update teaching styles.

“It often provides the base for good opening seminar discussions as faculty and students address the challenges of examining important issues from differing perspectives,” Nief said.

For example, the incoming class of 2010 has never had a chance to eat bad airline food, it has never known smoking to be permitted on U.S. airlines and, for most of these people’s lives, major U.S. airlines have been bankrupt.

Also, most freshman prefer going out on group dates as opposed to one-on-one dating.

Ayrowyn Tanner, a freshman in nursing, said she agrees.

“Group dating is definitely more popular through high school and into college,” she said. “It’s less pressure if you don’t have a special someone, and it’s easier to talk to more people that way.”

Oddly enough, the class of 2010 trusts Mr. Rogers more than Walter Cronkite, a statement with which some disagree.

“I for sure trust Cronkite more than Mr. Rogers because Cronkite always knows what’s going on,” said Patrick Herrington, an undecided freshman. “Mr. Rogers is creepy because he never stops looking at the camera-even when he takes off his shoes.”

Nief, however, said that the list was not completely accurate.

“It is meant to be thought-provoking and fun,” Neif said.