One last note

Behind the residence halls, more than 2,500 people gathered for Red Butte Garden’s last summer concert Sunday night.

Rosanna Cash, a Grammy award winner, performed as people listened, danced and had an all-around good time.

The series, in its 20th year, has come a long way from the tiny grass stage with room for no more than 100 people to attend concerts and listen to local artists. It has expanded to hold 2,500 people and brings artists from around the world.

There are plans to further expand the venue’s capacity within the next two years, said Kevin Bentz, director of marketing and public relations.

Mostly known for inviting jazz and bluegrass artists, the series brought three acts from the ’80s to diversify and move away from the standard, Bentz said.

The concert provided internships for two U students: Lindsey Sine, a Chronicle opinion columnist, and Jessica Nuffer, a senior accounting major.

Sine worked as a public relations representative, while Nuffer worked as an artist liaison.

“They were a big part of the concert’s success,” Bentz said.

Kamil Krzaczynski

Singer-songwriter Suzanna Vega performs during a July 30 concert as part of the Red Butte Garden 2006 Outdoor Concert Series, which ended Sunday with a performance by Roseanne Cash.