Crash course in crude

By Jesse Peterson

National Lampoon used to be a trademark of funny, and its newest book release, Jokes Jokes Jokes: Collegiate Edition tries to be just that.

That said, one can’t help but wonder: What was the last funny thing National Lampoon put out?

People might disagree, but the answer is “Vegas Vacation,” released in 1997.

1997?

What has National Lampoon been doing

since then?

Well, besides producing crap, NL seems to be steadily moving

toward the porno industry.

Jokes Jokes Jokes follows the trend of increasingly crude, rude and obscene humor. The first two-thirds of the opening chapter deals with genitalia, sex and/or excrement-and it doesn’t get much better from there.

The author, Steve Ochs, and his contributing joke analyst, Mason Brown,don’t stray much further from over-the- top stereotypes of Jews, Irishmen and, of course, the Scots/Welshmen who apparently shag barnyard animals every day. Certainly, this is all just fun and games, but it’s delivered in bad taste.

Jokes Jokes Jokes has everything from gags that we’ve all heard before to really lame jokes.

The “Collegiate Edition” moniker may make this book seem appealing to college-age students, but it shouldn’t be.

Now I’m not saying sex isn’t funny, and I have no qualms with the occasional fecal joke-actually, nix that; I hate all jokes that deal with anything coming out of the anus. But if I’m going to be inundated in either, give me the real thing. Seriously.