These boots were made for Peter Walker and Katherine Cowles

It’s common knowledge that weekends are cooler that their bastard brethren, weekdays.

It’s also true that weekends, by virtue of being cooler, are more complex. Weekends are like the good-looking, aloof, philanthropic member of the opposite sex standing next to that fat, rude, hideous friend of his/hers-we want to know more about the weekend, but we don’t always know how to approach it.

Consider, then, this recurrent weekly feature to be the equivalent of your personal dating guru-it will guide you, in precise and proven fashion, to the achievement of your goal: introducing yourself to, chatting debonairly with and subsequently taking that gorgeous weekend out for a night on the town, minus its homely comrade. By which I of course mean: getting to the concerts and events you want to get to, even if you didn’t know they existed.

Sept. 22: Peter Walker @ Club Sound

Peter Walker plays a brand of slightly gritty, hipster rock that-gasp!-is neither pretentious nor sucky. Actually, it’s pretty awesome: Consider the fact that Walker’s label-mates include bands like L.A.’s darlin’ Silversun Pickups and Walker’s supporters include Band of Horses and Isobel Campbell.

If that’s not enough cross-referencing to convince you to attend this show instead of bending over for Redfest, then listen here: Walker’s new record, “Young Gravity,” was produced by Earlimart’s Aaron Espinoza and ex-Grandaddy guitarist Jim Fairchild, and shares both bands’ tendency toward washed-out electro-confessional rock, with a dash of lime and several shots of whiskey.

Sept. 23: Katherine Cowles, Fawn Fables @ Urban Lounge

Katherine Cowles is the kind of musician who seems like she’d be just fine if you didn’t know who she is: She could keep on keepin’ on, crafting her carefully transcendent, wispy-yet-forceful songs, nobody would be the wiser, and everything in the world would be just dandy.

Sadly for Katherine, she happens to be a stupendously talented artist, and folks like that only stay secret for so long.

All it takes for any human being (who is not, in fact, an emotional robot, nor a tragically earless symbiot) to be wholly and hopelessly devoted to the Church of Cowledom is one concert. Just one.

And, it just so happens, that “just one concert” is all the wonderful songstress is performing this weekend.

Aren’t you a lucky dolphin.

So, take your lucky-dolphin blowhole over to the ol’ Urban Lounge this Saturday and support ol’ Katherine in her undertaking. I hear Fawn Fables is playing with her (not the other way around, despite what the tickets, venue, promoters, etc. say), and Fawn Fables is freakin’ awesome, too. Which means this concert is chock full of freakin’ awesomeness-like a double-stuffed Oreo cookie, only with awesomeness in the middle instead of that weird white frosting.

Mmm?Oreos.