Hockey narrows the gap

By Natalie Dicou

All the U hockey club needed was a little proof that it could skate with the big boys, and captain Mike Wilcox and Co. got just that when they took their first lead of the season Saturday night at Weber State.

An early goal by Wilcox put Utah up 1-0 before 30 seconds had ticked off the game clock.

The Utes eventually succumbed to a 4-2 defeat to the Wildcats, but the close score was a victory in itself for the team which only three weeks ago lost to the very same Wildcat team 11-0, and which has been outscored 92-18 in its inaugural year back following a three-year absence.

Saturday’s game came on the tail of a devastating 14-2 slaughter to the BYU IceCats in Provo Friday night.

So how did the Utes rebound to play such a competitive game against a worthy opponent after being manhandled less than 24 hours earlier?

“The kids are beginning to believe in themselves,” said head coach Bob Wilkinson.

And that belief stems back to Wilcox’s early goal, which did more for the team’s confidence than any

Disney sports film-inspired pep talk ever could have.

For the first time this season, the Utes had a one-goal cushion, which prompted Wilkinson to wonder, “How are we going to respond?”

Instead of considering the early lead a fluke, the goal infused the Utes with confidence that they could play with a team that easily dispensed of them less than a month ago.

Utah kept its intensity up, and after playing a competitive first period, the Utes were tied 1-1 going into the first intermission.

Guarding the net was Nick Cogswell, whom Wilkinson said played an excellent game.

Saturday’s game in Ogden was just the eighth game the Utes have played in three years, and Wilkinson is already noticing major improvements from the group of assorted hockey players who only became teammates a few months ago.

“The passing and the play is becoming very unselfish,” Wilkinson said. “People are passing the puck. They don’t think it’s theirs and (they don’t think that they) have to skate through everybody.”

The real measuring stick, Wilkinson said, will be at the end of the season when Utah goes up against Utah State, a team that has been a thorn in the Utes’ side this year: The Aggies have subjected Utah to two devastating losses thus far, 18-3 and 20-0.

The latter game, in which the Utes gave up 20 goals-that’s one every three minutes-may not be as telling as it seems. After all, six key players did not play.

But with the team back together and unity on the rise, said U hockey club vice president Jason Petho, the progress may start to be noticeable.

“These guys are dedicated, and they’re getting better and better every week,” Wilkinson said.

Next up for the Utes is a “home game” in Park City against Colorado State, a national powerhouse at the Division II level. Earlier this year, the Rams beat Division I Minot State in overtime but lost to the Utes’ in-state foe Utah State in a 5-6 battle.

Kim Peterson

Skatin’ Utes’ captain Mike Wilcox skates into the danger zone Oct. 6 against UVSC at Steiner Ice rink. The Utes kept up with BYU on Friday, only losing 4-2.