Pulitzer Prize winner performs at U

U students and faculty have a chance to learn from Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Yehudi Wyner.

Wyner is on campus as part of the Maurice Abravanel Visiting Distinguished Composers Series, which is dedicated to bringing more contemporary music to the U and allowing students to work directly with professional composers.

“Students get really excited to be able to speak with a distinguished composer,” said Mariha Hart, administrative associate for Morris Rosenzweig, an organizer and conductor for the event.

The public is invited to attend a lecture and a concert today as part of Wyner’s visit. “Connected Paths” is the topic of the lecture, which will be held in Room 306 in David P. Gardner Hall at 2 p.m.

The Abravanel Series is a great opportunity for students to get Wyner’s perspective on music and composition, Hart said.

Wyner will perform a short collection of his piano works and local artists will perform contemporary music by John Zorn and Malcolm Goldstein tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Dumke Recital Hall. The lecture and the performance are free.

Wyner received the Pulitzer Prize in 2006 for his piano concerto “Chiavi in Mano.” He has composed more than 60 works for solo instrument, ensemble, orchestra and theater.

“Cat O’ Nine Tails” by Zorn promises to give audiences 51 moments of inspiration in 15 minutes, and Goldstein’s “Configurations in Darkness” will feature the rarely used cimbalon.

The composer series occurs twice each year.

“I’ve been to the concerts, and I love them.” Hart said.

Photo Courtesy of Michael Lovett/The Associated Press